Eyelash extensions are a popular way of adding length and volume to our natural lashes, giving that flutter-ready look even first thing in the morning. They can be applied by professionals in a salon setting, or at home with your very own hands… if you feel confident enough!
Since the pandemic, more people have been asking the question, “Is it safe to apply eyelash extensions at home?” Well, let’s find out! Here we break down the pros and cons of DIY eyelash extensions, plus how to tap into this lucrative beauty trend yourself.
Eyelash extensions are the epitome of the beauty-hack trend. A fantastic option if you or your clients don’t want to bother with the hassle of applying and removing eye makeup every day, but still want a quick and simple solution to rolling out of bed looking seriously stylish.
But DIY eyelash extensions – yes or no?
The short answer is…. Yes! You can apply eyelash extensions at home. In fact, the process can be relatively easy at home, but it does take some practice.
At home eyelash extensions can be more affordable for many, reducing travel costs and price of salon treatments.
However, safety is always a concern when carrying out your own beauty procedures. Without proper training or hygiene procedures, you could be setting yourself up for infections or irritation…which none of us want!
Therefore, there are some key steps to follow when applying eyelash extensions at home, which most salons also follow as part of their routine procedure.
Before each application, remember the following:
- Ensure you are knowledgeable of the guidelines around eyelash extension care and maintenance.
- Apply a hygienic barrier cream around your eyes, to ensure that any adhesive doesn’t come into contact with sensitive areas.
- Ensure you have all the correct equipment to hand, including eye makeup remover, mascara, cotton pads and eyelash glue.
- Apply eyelash extensions with disposable tweezers and clean fingers, to avoid bacteria from nails contaminating the lashes.
- Clean your work area thoroughly before and after application, to avoid the risk of cross-contamination.
- Don’t rub or pull on the lash extensions, as this may cause damage to them. Just gently brush upwards from the root of eyelashes towards the tip to remove any product build-up.
After each application, keep in mind the following:
- Don’t apply any makeup for at least 30 minutes after applying the lash extensions to allow the adhesive to set.
- Avoid using water near the lash extension area for at least 24 hours. This will ensure they remain in place for longer and reduce the risk of irritation if you accidentally get moisture into your eye.
- Use oil-free eye cream in order to keep your lashes in tip-top condition, and reduce the risk of irritation.
- Avoid using waterproof mascara while wearing eyelash extensions. Instead, opt for a more gentle formulation like oil-free, cream-based mascaras.
- Try not to scratch or rub your eyes, as this will cause the adhesive to loosen and reduce wear time.
- Avoid sleeping on your front while wearing eyelash extensions, as this can often lead to damage of both the lashes themselves as well as the glue.
The best way to reduce any risks associated with applying lashes? Completing our online course in Eyelash Extensions. This will not only provide you with a much better understanding of how to apply them flawlessly, but it’ll also teach you all the relevant care practices to keep lash extensions looking great for longer!
Completing a Lash Certification Online will equip you with both the theoretical and practical expertise to effectively apply and remove individual lashes and lash clusters in hygienic and safe ways. You’ll also be able to adapt extensions to the client’s eye shape and offer different fullness options, styling Instagram-worthy full, luscious lashes much better than any amateur! Created by industry professionals, their expertise will guide you through the essential steps to master this art form. And not to forget your bespoke beauty kit, included in your course price. Full of all the top-quality equipment that is safe, sleek and sure to impress.
Because our beauty courses are online, they are great for your piggy bank too! Coming with affordable payment plans, that serve as an investment in yourself. Instead of just using your new skills on yourself, you can start to share them with friends too. Before you know it, you could have a small business under your belt!
Available to study online 24 hours a day, our modules are built to empower you in mastering safe practices and providing the fierce lashes everyone dreams of. This means you could learn around a full-time job, so you don’t miss out on the opportunity to step up your skills. Talk to our team for more information, or sign up for your kit today!