From traditional lash extensions to the increasingly popular lift and tint, we will guide you through the basic steps on how to become an eyelash tech, as well as answering those all-important questions like what does an eyelash technician do, how much are eyelash techs paid and what skills are needed to succeed in the industry.
What does an eyelash technician do?
The job of an eyelash technician is to provide high-quality lash care and treatments, using their breadth of skill and knowledge to create the desired look for their client. Whether it is general care and maintenance, lengthening, lifting or tinting, a lash tech use be up to date on all the latest tips and trends to create gorgeous lashes.
Eyelash technician job description
Steady hands, expert knowledge and a creative flair are the pillars of a good lash tech. Technicians will be required to expertly perform an array of beauty treatments to a high standard, ensuring excellent results for their clients, whilst also adding in a dash of creative flair where needed.
How much does an eyelash tech make?
With an average wage of around $20 per hour, whether you are employed by a pre-existing company or are looking to set yourself a self-employed eyelash technician salary, we would suggest starting at the lower end and gradually increasing your prices as you gain reputation.
Before you know it you could be earning at the higher end of a lash tech salary – over $52,000- $70,000 a year.
That being said, good freelancers or people who run their own business can make over 6 figures a year with a good work ethic.
Roles and responsibilities
Some of the role and responsibilities of lash technicians include:
- Extensive knowledge about eyelashes, both natural and false. Lash techs must be clued up on relevant eye and eyelash related issues, care and maintenance to ensure safe and healthy treatments.
- An eyelash tech must be able to deliver high-quality treatments safely, with expert precision.
- Consulting with clients to achieve the best results, physically and aesthetically.
- Offering advice on lash aftercare, as well as knowing the best products to suggest to help them keep their lashes in the best condition.
- Ensuring clients feel cared for and listened to – a tech who cares about their clients and their work will always come out on top.
A day in a life of an eyelash technician
The day of an eyelash tech often looks a little like this:
- Prep – Getting their equipment ready, ensuring they have all the tools and products they need, as well as following proper cleaning and sterilisation protocols. It is also important to keep a note of any products that may need restocking.
- Appointments – A diary is a lash tech’s best friend. They will need to keep on top of all bookings and appointments, making sure they have enough time between each to reset their equipment station.
- Down to business – The day begins! Beautiful treatments and good conversation will make the day speed by.
- Clean up and aftercare – Clients should always be sent off with the proper care instructions and products to maintain their lashes. A lash tech must ensure their station is always cleaned promptly before and after each treatment.
- Come back soon – Keep them coming back for more by booking in their next appointment before they go!
Why should you be an eyelash technician?
Curious about the benefits of becoming an eyelash tech? We’ve got you covered!
- Self-sufficient – Being in charge of your own business is super empowering – you can set your own work hours, choose your clients, even set your own pay rates.
- Flexible – Being self-employed is a super flexible way of working, allowing you to fit appointments in around your daily schedule.
- Sociable – Being a beauty technician is a wonderfully sociable job. You will meet all kinds of people and make a difference to their day by offering them a beauty confidence boost!
Skills needed to become an eyelash technician
- Technique – Knowing the proper lash treatment techniques is the bread and butter of any successful beautician – get working on those tricky techniques!
- Knowledge – Having a backlog of beauty knowledge is the perfect toolkit to call on for all and any situation you may occur in the salon.
- Business skills – Knowing how to keep your business organised, keeping on top of appointments as well as maintaining efficient admin will keep your business running smoothly.
- Communication – Maintaining good and efficient communication with your clients and partners is the backbone of any long-standing and successful beauty business.
- Creativity – Adding your own unique touch of creative flair to your work will make you stand out from the crowd.
- People skills – Arguably the most important skill of any business owner, making sure clients feel listened to and cared for should be top priority.
How easy is it to start your own eyelash technician business?
The answer? Like anything worthwhile, starting your own business will take time and energy, but by taking it step by step it can make things more manageable:
Step 1 – Having a keen interest in eyelashes and beauty treatments is the most important first step! Having passion for what you do will show in your work and earn you a loyal and enthusiastic client list.
Step 2 – Getting those skills to a high level is the foundation of any successful lash technician. Once you are firm in both the practical and theoretical foundations of the job, the only way to go is up!
Step 3 – Practice makes perfect. Taking every opportunity to practise and hone your craft will stand you in excellent stead. Rope in family and friends – they’ll love it!
Step 4 – Now for some self-promotion! Whether through social media, recommendation, working for existing brands or setting up partnerships and collaborations with other beauty companies, getting the word out there about your top-notch lash skills is the best way to gain momentum.
Start learning today
Take a look at our eyelash extension course and our Certificate in Eyelash Lift and Tint, giving you the freedom and flexibility to explore your craft from home, allowing you to learn at a pace and within a schedule that suits you and your lifestyle.
Start your beauty journey today with Canadian Beauty School.